Lesson of the day: “The school that aspires to be a basketball factory (not of this kind)”
6. Who are some of the school’s sponsors and supporters? What kind of support does Monroe think he needs in school? Why?
7. Why did Dan Klores establish New Renaissance as a charter school rather than a traditional public school? Do you think it is possible for students in special schools like this to learn more about the direction of the school and to pass standardized tests in reading, math, English, science and a foreign language? ?
8. Would you be interested in attending school, or a similar school in your area? Why or why not?
Design the school of your dreams based on a passion you have. For example, there are already high art schools where students can study visual arts, drama, dance, and music, as well as schools that focus on creative writing, STEM, and more. Maybe one of them interests you, or maybe you prefer to study in a high school where you will learn to take care of the environment or focus on becoming multilingual and traveling the world, or on the design of video games.
1. Write a mission statement
Write a mission statement for the school of your dreams. The mission statement must answer the question What is the purpose of this school? For example, here is the mission statement for the Earl Monroe New Renaissance school of basketball:
Turning passion into opportunity
At Earl Monroe New Renaissance School of Basketball, we made a decision to ensure that our students’ futures are filled with possibilities, whether they are playing or not.
We believe the magic and excitement of basketball extends beyond the court into professions accessible to our graduates.
What do you hope students will achieve in the school of your dreams? How can the things students learn serve them in a number of different careers?
2. Create a daily schedule
What do the students of your imaginary high school do when they arrive in the morning? What types of classes do they take throughout the day? You can take inspiration from your own school schedule or borrow ideas from the classes offered at Earl Monroe.
3. Write a class description
Pick one of the courses in your daily schedule and write a one paragraph description of what is happening in that course. What are you learning ? What kinds of hands-on activities will students participate in?
4. Create a brochure
Take everything you’ve done so far and create a one-page brochure promoting your specialty school. You can use a platform like Canva to create something that is visually compelling and catches the interest of others.